Tattenhall : Bostock and Huddleston Families:
"Saxon Chronicles written in the 14th century, we find it called“Teotanheal”, and in Domesday Book “Tatenhale”,
In the 15th century it was the residence of a family called after the parish Tattenhall, sometimes spelt in the abbreviated form “Tatnall”
It was perhaps during this period, in the reign of the Confessor, that the first church was built in Tattenhall, and that the district was called a parish, though both may have been formed earlier.
Edward first formed Parishes, each district occupied by a certain number of families being called a parish, and the larger territory, containing a hundred families he called a Hundred
Hundreds were formed, and the parishes in Cheshire were called Townships; which were merely the ancient Manors of the lands.
Saxon settlers claimed the lands; having boundaries, fairly well defined by water courses, woods, or some other natural feature. The Saxons called a small Manor with two or three hundred acres a "CROFT". It was their custom of calling the Lord of the Manor after the name of his chief place of residence or the territory he owned. It was also a Saxon custom to leave their land to the youngest male child.
Civil Parishes must not be confounded with Ecclesiastical Parishes.
After the Norman Conquest, when their boundaries were finally settled by Honarius, Archbishop of Canterbury, and extended in most cases over several Townships. Center of such being a church, which had been built by some Lord of a Manor.
After the fatal Battle of Hastings, when Harold Godwinson, the last of the Saxon kings, lost his Kingdom and his life, and the Norman, Duke William, seized all of England, as his by right of conquest, it fared ill with the poor Saxon Lords of Manors.
In the division of the spoil, Cheshire was given by William the Conqueror to his nephew, Hugh Lupus, ( Hugh of Avranche, otherwise Hugh Lupus) and this with the Saxon title of Earl.of Chester.
Hugh Lupus is said by some to have been the son of a sister of Edwin, Earl of Mercia, who was grandson of Loefric, husband of the well known Lady Godiva of Coventry fame. If this be right, then Lupus, (or Wolf), would have had English blood in him, which may account for the old English title being conferred on him with the gift of Cheshire
Cheshire was called a County Palatine, and had a parliament of its own, the Earl’s Council being composed of his eight Barons. One of his Barons Robert Fitz Hugh of MALPASS, is reported to be Hugh Lupus's bastard son.
This Earl Hugh Lupus let or gave the present site of Tattenhall to William Malbedeng, Baron of Wich-Malbank, (now Nantwich)
After the Ville (Saxon “Ham”) of Tattenhall had been held by the Barons of Wich-Malbank, the manor was given by Randal/Ranulph de Gernons (Father of Hugh Kevelioc), to Henry Touchet and the Lords Audley.
Ranulph de Gernons married Maud de Caen of Gloucester in 1141; grandaugher fo King Henry I.
Henry Touchet (b 1241) married Emma de Audley. After Henry died; Emma Audley Touchet married the Prince of Powys, Wales. Griffin ap Madoc, Lord of Bromfield, Prince of Powys Vadog.
Henry Touchet's father was also named Henry Touchet; and his grandfather was Jocelyn Touchet; Their ancestor Sir Robert Touchet of Uuglawton and Tattenhall married Alice Fitz Alured; daughter of Roger Fits Alured who was ancestor of the Barons Audley, and Chetwode of Oakley Hall,
Another Touchet property was "Shocklach Castle".
1306 "Advowson", Middlewich was owned by the Touchet Family, Paramount Lords of Newton. Newton will come into play (due to its close proximity to MALPAS) in the lineage of the Lawton's of "Wigland" Malpass.
Sir Phillip Touchet Chetwode of Oakley married Elizabeth Venables, daughter and sole heiress of George Venables of Middlewich. (Not to be confused with Elizabeth Venables; wife of Adam Bostock, and daughter of Baron of Kinderton, Sir Hugh Venables)
About the year 1264, Tattenhall and District must have been excited and effected, for at that time there seems to have been trouble with the Welsh and other rebels, as we note that “Earl Derby defeated Lord Zouch, David, brother of Llewllyn, Prince of Wales, and James, Lord Audley, and took Chester.
In the reign of Edward i. 1272-1307. mention is made of Sir Thomas Touchet, Lord of Whitley, Buglawton, and Tattenhall.
1356. Battle of Poitiers. Lord Audley and four Cheshire Esquires were heroes.
1403. Many Cheshire men joined Lord Percy in his rebellion against Henry iv. and very many of them fell on the fatal field of Shrewsbury
1459. Battle of Blore Heath. James, Lord Audley, was defeated by Lord Salsbury, and this was disastrous to Cheshire men. This was a fight between Yorkists and Lancastrians, wherein the latter wore a white swan as a distinguishing mark. Adam Bostock diedl at Blore Heath.
In the year 1496, on the attainder of James Tuchet (or Touchet), Lord Audley, the manor was forfeited to the Crown
Tattenhall was then granted to the Chapter of Chester, but lost after the Reformation, and was sold about the year 1600 by the Cotton’s to the Egerton’s, from whom it passed to Sir John Crewe, of Utkinton. In 1804
1580. Mention of Tattenhall occurs again, as we now learn, “Filkin of Tattenhall”,
“Piers Filkin mar. Jane, dau. of John Davenport of Calverley”.These Filkins or Fylkyns were for several generations of Tattenhall, and became extinct in the male line by death of Peter Filkin, Esq. in 1750.
1643. J. Bostock, of Tattenhall, Councillor at Law, and Clerk of the Council, was, being found guilty of an offence at Nantwich. CIVIL WAR: 1643. The Royalists, under Lord Byron, defeated Sir William Brereton at Middlewich
1675. In this year Sir John Crewe was Lord of Tattenhall, and Sir James Bradshaw then lived at the present Tattenhall Hall.
The present hall was built about the beginning of the 17th century, by Richard Bostock, Esq.
Richard Bostock of "Tattenhall" also had a son Charles Bostock of "Shirley House" Charles Bostock married Mary Smedley at Collegiate Church before 1642. Mary was born 1624 and the daughter of Leonard Smedley of "Smethley Mills" in county Chetham, township of Manchester. Leonard was "Deputy Herald" agent of "College of Arms" in Lancashire. (arms painter and stainer). Tattenhall is not to be confused with "Tandridge Hall". Descendents of JOAN SAUNDERS, who married Edward Rich of the family of Lord Rich (Earl of Warwick's family), who was Speaker of the House of Commons and Lord Chancellor of England in 1547, from whom has descended Sir Almeric Edmund Frederick Rich, 5th
Richard Huddleston, Esq of Sawton 1729, married Mary BOSTOCK; daughter of Richard Bostock, Esq. of Wexhall, co. Salop. Richard and Mary had seven daughters.
Henry Bostock, Esq. of the county Salop married: Mary Huddleston; daughter of Richard Huddleston 1716, of Gray's Inn and her mother: Sarah Doffkin Huddleston. Richard Huddleston was a Merchant of LONDON. Mary Huddleston was their sole heir.
Thwaite Hall was one of the seats of the Huddlestons, whose principal residence was "Millom Castle". Thwaite anciently belonged to the Fitz Alans, Lords of Bedale. Matilda Fitz Alan married Sir Gilbert of Stapleton. Matilda was the daughter of Brian Fitz Alan. After four descents, it was conveyed by marriage of an heiress to Lord of Aneys, Sir John Huddleston , Captain of the "Bona Noua". It remained in the possession of this Huddleston family for 400 years. William Bostock (b1450) was also of Stapleton and it is my theory that Sir Gilbert of Stapleton is Sir "Henry" Gilbert Bostock of Stapleton.
Between 1603 and 1626, the Huddleston family was heavily involved with the "Virginia Company" and sailed 7300 hundred emigrants to the Virginia Colony, of which 6,040 of them died en route or shortly after arrival. (four out of five colonists died within a few years of their arrival.) Captain John Huddleston carried over President Thomas Jefferson's ancestor, John Jefferson on his ship "Bona Noua". John Huddleston, gent., of Ratcliffe, Middlesex.
Sir John Huddleston of Millom Castle (d 1547) married 3rd to Joyce Prickley of Worcestershire. Their son Andrew Huddleston. married Joan Seymour; aunt to Queen Jane Seymour, one of the seven wives of King Henry VIII..
"The Virginia Company of London" included the Rich Family, Earls of Warwick; interested in Bermuda Company in 1628. Sir Charles Bostock married Mary Frances Rich; sole heiress of Sir Robert Rich. Charles Bostock inherited both his property and his title Baron Charles Bostock Rich.
There are several homes, halls, farms owned by the Bostock family. But the home connected to Henry Bostock of Salop is Bostock Hall":: The Old House" was moated but pulled down in 1803. The original property owners were decendents of "OSMERUS", Lord of Bostock. Currently there is a Bostock Hall located in Bostock and now called Bostock Green. The new Bostock Hall is privately owned and can't be toured. It is not the original Bostock Hall, however the original foundation and mote is viewable in the pastures of Bostock Green. The exact location is given as "Middlewich-Shipbrook", Cheshire England. " "Bostock Hall" as "Bostoeks of Moreton Saye co,Salop, and Henry Bostock of that place" Salop Inq. p.m. 23, Elizabeth
"Wixall" Bostock Hall was built around 1550, but the site is much older being the site of an old manorial house from the period 1200-1400. The moated site midway between the Alders and Abbey Green is the site of a farm house of the same period. The 1668 survey also refers to "Land called Le Foxholes which was conceived to be land in which was a manorial house adjoining to that parcel of common known by the name Poole Bank". The actual position of this third site is still unknown.
1622, it is then described as “a fair house, built all of brick”. The Bostock’s sold the hall to the Bradshaw’s and in 1666 it was owned by Sir J Bradshaw of Chester. Adam Bostock (b1363) married Jonet Bradshaw; daughter of Sir Henry Bradshaw.
1686. ”Darnhall School Estate in Tattenhall purchased by Mr Lea, of Darnhall, and settled on Trust, to provide education for the children of Whitegate, Over, and Weaver. The Church of Whitegate stood near the gate of the Monastery of Vale Royal.
During most of the 18th century and the early 19th century it was used a farmhouse before it was purchased and restored by Robert Barbour of nearby Bolesworth Castle, in 1856.
(In 1810 it was a farm house united to the manor. It is now 1907, a farmhouse belonging to Geo.Barbour, Esq. of Bolesworth)."
Sources: "Notes and Writings by: R O Orton"
and "Diocese of Chester", "Omerod IBID" by: John Ross
and "Captain John Huddleston of the Bona Noua" by: R.H.Huddleston
Other SOURCES listed at the end of my main webpage.
Research, Written, and Posted by: Wanda Bostic Dunlap Nov. 2009