The "Swan": Trinity House Estate, Northwich
Source: "The Trinity House Estate", Survey of London, Vol 25: "St. George Fields" Pg 115/116
The Swan known as the "Trinity House Estate" was erected by the widow of Phillip Bostock.
The original name of the tavern was "Green Dragon Tavern".
It was deeded to Richard Bostock after the passing of John Leigh. It's land joins the land of "Christ Church" in Canterbury.
The Trinity House Estate"
CHAPTER 15: THE TRINITY HOUSE ESTATE
English Heritage Publication
Survey of London: volume 25
Author Ida Darlington (editor)
Year published 1955
Supporting documents Description of plates List of illustrations
Pages 105-116 Citation
Most of the ground lying between Borough High Street, Great Dover Street, Falmouth Road, and Harper Road belongs to the Corporation of Trinity House. It is in the parish of St. Mary, Newington, and was formerly included within the manor of Walworth. Small pieces of land have been purchased by the Corporation and some has been sold, but in the main the ground is the same as that conveyed to the Corporation in 1661 by Christopher Merrick, in trust "for Releiving comforting Easing & Maintaining of the poor Aged Sick Maimed Weak and decayed Seamen and Mariners of this Kingdom, their Wives children and Widowes where most need was." (ref. 309)
Merrick, a London merchant, was sworn a Younger Brother of Trinity House on 8th September, 1660. (ref. 310) He had acquired his Southwark property from his father, also a Christopher Merrick, who had purchased it in 1605. The ground had, prior to the dissolution of the religious houses, been in several ownerships, some of it belonging to private persons and some to St. Thomas' Hospital and the Priory of St. Mary Overy. By the beginning of the reign of Elizabeth I the whole property was in the possession of the Bostock family from whom it passed in due course to Merrick's father. (ref. 309) It was described in 1660 as consisting of "All that Capital House called the Swan with the Buildings theretofore Erected by one Phillis Bostok widow also all that Messuage then called the Green Dragon Tavern sometime in the tenure of Bennet Bate adjoining to the Swan aforesaid on the North to the Messuage theretofore of Richard Bostock sometime in the Tenure of John Legh deceased and sometime called the Lamb on the South And all those Lands sometimes into five fields divided parcell of which are called Horsemonger Land cont' 18 Acres and all that land containing 2 Acres and half lying in the Chase or Drove Lane called Horsemonger Lane leading from the King's highway on the North side of a field called Millfield and Bellgarden to a field of the Dean and Chapter of Christs Church in Canterbury."
The Swan lay just south of St. George's Church. It was a large inn with a brewhouse attached and gave its name to the later Swan Street which was formed in part out of the inn yard. (fn. a) South of the Lamb was a "great barn" which in 1651 was said to have been "formerly used for stables for Flanders Maires." (ref. 311) It is possible that it had been used at an earlier period in connection with horse fairs held on "Horsemongerland." (fn. a)
From: 'The Trinity House Estate', Survey of London: volume 25: St George's Fields (The parishes of St. George the Martyr Southwark and St. Mary Newington) (1955), pp. 105-116.
APPENDIX I: PLAN OF WALWORTH MANOR BELONGING TO THE DEAN AND CHAPTER OF CHRIST CHURCH, CANTERBURY, 1681 (PLATE 49)
This plan, from the archives of the Dean and Chapter at Canterbury, was reproduced by the London Topographical Society in 1932. The Canterbury plan is itself a copy of the original plan by Thomas Hill, which is in the possession of the Church Commissioners. Both copies are drawn in ink on vellum and show the fields which were in lease from the Dean and Chapter outlined with a green, yellow, or pink wash. The houses belonging to the church are topped in red.
The closes marked B, to signify that they were in lease to Thomas Bostock with the Manor House, were held by the Penton family throughout the 18th century. The Church Commissioners have a plan of this property made in 1805 by Kent, Pearce & Kent showing Manor Row, West Street, Penton Place, Canterbury Row, East Street, South Street, North Street, Apollo Buildings, etc., which by then had been built across several of the plots. It is evident from comparison with a modern map that this part of the 1681 plan was based on a reasonably accurate survey. Walworth Common and Lattam-mor (Lorrimore) Common are also approximately correct in shape and size. The common field is shown surrounded by a wall, (fn. a) with Bostock property consisting of one 11 acre field and a number of small strips distributed among land belonging to Mr. Kenon (fn. b) and Mr. Beesman. Brandon Street is now on the site of the west wall of the field which extended east to the parish boundary between Munton Road north and Trafalgar Street south.
From: 'Appendix I: Plan of Walworth Manor, 1681', Survey of London: volume 25: St George's Fields (The parishes of St. George the Martyr Southwark and St. Mary Newington) (1955), pp. 127-128. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65456&strquery=Bostock Date accessed: 20 December 2008. In 1686 Henry Penton was granted a lease of the property previously held by Thomas Bostock, (ref. 231) marked B on the 1681 plan (Plate 49). He died in 1715, leaving his property to his nephew John, from whom it passed to John's son Henry, in 1725, and the son of the latter, also a Henry, in 1762. (ref. 232)
From: 'The manor of Walworth and parish of St. Mary, Newington', Survey of London: volume 25: St George's Fields (The parishes of St. George the Martyr Southwark and St. Mary Newington) (1955), pp. 81-90. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65448&strquery=Bostock Date accessed: 20 December 2008.
In 1686 Henry Penton was granted a lease of the property previously held by Thomas Bostock, (ref. 231) marked B on the 1681 plan (Plate 49). He died in 1715, leaving his property to his nephew John, from whom it passed to John's son Henry, in 1725, and the son of the latter, also a Henry, in 1762. (ref. 232)
Researched, and Posted by: Wanda Bostic Dunlap August 2008