“The Lowndes of SC” and The history of “Bostock Hall”:
“The New England Historical & Genealogical Register” 1876 and “Lowndes of SC by George B. Chase 1876: gives the following information on the Lowndes of “Bostock Hall”:
Descendents of the ancient family of Lowndes of “Legh Hall”, England
William Lowndes (d1590) of Overton, co. Smallwood purchased the Bostock House located in “Little Hassall”, Parish of Sandbach; from Henry Bostock family of Moreton Say, county Salop.
“Bostock Hall” was described as a farmhouse built adjacent to the original house that was destroyed during the civil war and defended by a moat .
The Lowndes resided at “Bostock Hall” for more than 300 years. They opened the salt mines between Sandbach and Middlewich in the 17th century and became very wealthy. The Bostock’s still remained heavily envolved in mining the 26 mile stretch of salt mines was discovered on their ancestral property.
1710 Charles Lowndes and wife Ruth Rawlins Lowndes sailed to Charleston, SC; where their son Rawlins was educated by SC resident “Provost Marshall” a lawyer named ROBERT HALL. Rawlins Lowndes was only 14 when his father died and Robert Hall became his teacher and his guardian. In 1778 Rawlins Lowndes took over as “Provost Marshall” and as the President of S.C.
The Lowndes first plantation was located on the Ashley River, Colleton County , SC and called “Crowfield”. It was burned during the Revolution.
1725 Thomas Lowndes was appointed “Provost Marshall” of the SC colonies. His son William Lowndes (d1763) served more than ten years in the Congress of SC and nominated for the Presidency of South Carolina.
Collected and written by Wanda Bostic Dunlap, March 2009