Holt Families:

 

"Holt is a name of Saxon origin, found in the Viking History "Holt the Axe"; a Viking King.

Holt Village is part of the Welsh marshes in Wrexham, North Wales; located  on the River Dee, 9 miles from Chester. In 1281 the village was known as "Villa Leonis of Lyons".

In the 11th century people were named after their place of their origin, i.e.  “Bostock”. George Bostock (b1481-85) married Emma Holt. :Emma Holt, daughter of Sir Edward Holt (married about 1470 at St. Martin Parish,  England.) :Edward married the daughter of Adam Bostock (b 1412);   Jane Bostock, who married her cousin Robert Bostock of Churton and after him Sir Edward Holt of Wimboldsley.  William Bostock was also known as William Bostock of Wimboldsley.

Wimboldsley is a town located in the parish of Middlewich; once part of the "Northwich Hundred"; county Chester.

During the reign of King John, the Holt Family of Wimboldsley held the manor and lands of Sutton from Sir Thomas Stanley, and the lands of Newton and Holt from Sir James Touchet."

 Balderstone Hall Estate by H.M.Haynes 

 "Records of Balderstone begin with a croft mentioned in AD 1240 in the Towneley Manuscripts. The croft was a small piece of arable land adjoining a dwelling occupied by the de Balderstone family. Today this area is BalderstonePark.

Between Balderstone and Buersil was Saltergate, a name of Norse origin meaning “salt – summer –pasture hut road”. As the name Balderstone is also thought to be of Norse origin the settlement could date back to the tenth or eleventh century. 

Balderstone was in the Manor of Castleton, in the larger Manor or Rochdale, which was itself subject to the Great Manor of Clitheroe. Land owning families took their names from the area where they lived and they often gave land to the church. 

Rights to the land went to Stanlan Abbey and later Whalley. In 1290 John, son of Hugh de Balderstone , released to the monks of Stanlan his rights in the service of Richard son of Andrew de Haworth. 

Other records of the de Balderstone family also appear in Coucher Book of Whalley but they end with Henry de Balderstone who released land on Buersil Moor to the Byron family in the fourteenth century. 

The Estate is divided :

Land passed from the de Balderstones to the Holt, Garside and Heywood families. Henry Holt of Balderstone lived in a Hall of some pretentions but he died without issue in 1520. Later James Garside was to die without heir and lawsuits and subdivision of the Estate followed. Peter Heywood sold most of his land in 1582 and the Hall passed to the Holts of Stubley. 

The Open Field :

By this time Slack, Kirkholt, Cripplegate and Bradshaws were already established. They were small units of settlement each like an oasis in a waste of over four hundred acres of turbury and moss. Tenants cultivated small strips of open field around them, turning their cattle out onto the stubble when the crop of wheat corn was gathered and exercising their rights of pasturage on common meadow, pasture and waste. 

Enclosure of the Commons 

In 1626 the Manor of Rochdale was held by the King and a detailed survey of it was made, with a view to selling it. There were nine freeholders in Castleton of whom Charles Holt of Balderstone Hall was one. The Holts were farmer’s weavers and Charles farmed thirty acres around the Hall, which included the Kitchen Meadow, Crofts, Rye fields, orchards, barns and stables.

Close by the Hall and its demesne was a fold in the area where Balderstone Road now joins Oldham Road. During the sixteenth century common land was enclosed, usually by agreement. The Fold was the unit to which had been appropriated recently divided common meadows, pasture and tracks of waste and between whose group of occupiers the ‘fold’ itself was divided. 

In Balderstone Fold: five copy holders held closed recently improved out of Castleton Moor and surrendered by Charles Holt. The closes were of about two acres each and they were a mixture of strips of arable meadow and pasture. They were smaller than the closes taken out of Buersil Moor, where enclosure was accomplished after many bitter struggles.

 Charles Holt also improved land off the ‘King’s Waste’ for himself. He built a water-powered corn mill before 1628. It was by the fold in the Tenterfield just below the site of the present Balderstone Mill.

 A cloth maker , James Scofield , was working in the Fold, as was John Stock who was a yeoman to John Halliwell of Pyke House, Buersil Moor. 

Farming and waving went hand in hand in Hall and fold and soon handlooms would be in virtually every home in Balderstone. 

1919 “The Balderstone Hall Estate persevered in perpetuity for the people. The hall and grounds converted into a public resort approaching to the continental style, 

The Old Mill By the Stream 

Balderstone’s old Mill is first mentioned in the will of Charles Holt of Balderstone Hall in 1628. It was a watermill or cornmill with a corn-drying kiln, and it was situated in the ancient croft referred to in 1240. Close by were cottages , barns for the wheat and a tenter field. 

The Holt family were farmer-weavers and wool may have been fulled by hand (or rather feet) and stretched out on tenter frames to dry. The car park of the much more recent Balderstone Cotton Mill covers the site of the corn mill and tenterfield. 

The Holts farmed the arable land around Balderstone Hall and as freeholders had certain rights over the tenants in the Fold which developed between Hall and Mill. One of these rights was the obligation of tenants to grind their corn at the Holt’s Mill.

James Holt married Eleanor Balderstone in 1414; daughter and heiress of Henry de Balderstone.

James was the son of Geoffrey del Holt.  James and Eleanor had two daughters:

(1) Eleanor Holt married  Ellis de Buckley,  (2) Agnes Holt married Bernard Butterworth. 

 James Hold had a bastard son named Henry del Holte (d1496).

Henry Holte had the following children:

Alice  Holte (b1524)  married: Thomas Cheatham

Henry (d 1520) no issue

Elizabeth Holte

Alice Holte

Agnes Holte  m:  Roger Gartside

Agnes and Roger Gartside had a son named Roger Gartside that married Isabel.  Roger and Isabel had a daughter named Agnes Gartside that married James Holt.  1582  Balderstone was passed to their descendent John Holte.   Balderstone remained in the hold family until the 16th century when it was sold.

In 1713 the Holts sold the Mill along with their Estate to Timothy Whitehead a wool stapler or trader of Saddleworth.  Water mills were easily adapted and people could full wool alongside other grinding corn.

Deeds of Balderstone Mill dating back to 1688 can be seen at Preston Records Office"

 

Holt Family Roots

"William FitzRobert  Earl of Gloucester of the , AND  Hugh de Audley later became the Earl of Gloucester.   (Also desending from the Earls of Hertford)

Sir Thomas Dutton of Dutton Knight, Son and Heir of John and Margaret Savage Dutton, married Anne Audley; Daughter of  Lord Hugh Audley.     Lord  of Glouchester Hugh Audley’s other daughter Elizabeth Audley (b 1227) married  William Bostock (b1225); son of Sir Henry Gilbert Bostock (b1205).  Also known as “Gilbert”:

William Bostock was born abt. 1225 in Cheshire; he married Elizabeth Audley born abt. 1225 in St. Martin Parish   Many of their descendents were married, born or buried at St. Martin Parish.

In 1406 William Holt is recorded as taking "refuge" at St. Martin Parish, , England.                                  

Bearing   in mind, and remembering that people in the 11th century followed their given names with the place of their origin, i.e.  “Bostock”; and remembering that later our George Bostock (b1481-85) married Emma Holt. :Emma Holt, daughter of Sir Edward Holt (married about 1470 at St. Martin Parish,  England.) :Edward married the daughter of Adam Bostock (b 1412);   Jane Bostock, who married her cousin Robert Bostock of Churton and after him Sir Edward Holt of Wimboldsley"

 

Holt Family Roots:

A HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF SURRY, VOL 4

BY. H.E.MAIDEN 1912

"CHELSHAM LE HOLT or ROWHOLT.

—Early in the 13th century John de Imworth (fn. 44) granted half a carucate of land to the priory of Tonbridge. After John's death his daughters and heirs, Maud wife of Bartholomew son of Bartholomew, and Mary wife of Hugh son of Oliver, confirmed their father's gift to the priory in 1243–4, (fn. 45) and the property of this house in Chelsham was assessed at 5s. in 1291. (fn. 46) The priory was suppressed by Cardinal Wolsey under a bull of Pope Clement VII dated September 1524 (fn. 47) for the endowment of his foundation of Cardinal College in Oxford, (fn. 48) and this manor was granted to him by the king in January 1526. (fn. 49) He assigned it to the college the same year. (fn. 50) On the fall of Wolsey the manor again passed into the king's hands, and in 1531 was granted in exchange for other lands to the priory of Sheen. (fn. 51) The priory surrendered in 1539. The manor was at this time in the tenure of William Hardyng, who paid a rent of 13s. 4d. and a red rose. (fn. 52) The same year this rent was granted by the king to John Gresham, (fn. 53) and in 1545 the manor of Rowholt was sold to Gresham, now Sir John Gresham, kt., of London. (fn. 54) On his death in 1556 (fn. 55) it passed to his wife Katherine and their son William, Beatrice widow of the latter holding it in 1604. (fn. 56) By a deed dated 9 January 1598 she had settled it after her death on her daughter Cicely, wife of Sir Henry Woodhouse, for life, with remainder to Cicely's son Gresham Woodhouse. (fn. 57) Later the estate was sold in parcels to various people, about 120 acres being now part of Chelsham Court Farm. (fn. 58) The house formerly known as Rowholt is now called Ledgers Park. The present house is not old, but close to it are the remains of a moat round the site of an older house."

 

From: 'Parishes: Chelsham', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 270-274. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43063  Date accessed: 31 December 2008.

MANORS   (Tonbridge later changed to Tanbridge )

In 1086 the manor of BLECHINGLEY was held by Richard de Tonbridge of the king. (fn. 35) Before this time there had been three manors, held by Aelfech, Alwin and Elnod, the assessment being for 10 hides; in 1086 there was one manor only, assessed for 3 hides. Of the 10 hides Odmus held 2½, Lemei 2, and Peter 1½ at the time of the Survey. The part held by Richard himself was worth £12 and that held by his homagers 73s. 4d. He also held houses in London and Southwark appurtenant to this manor.

With the exception of the king, Richard was the largest landholder in Surrey. He was ancestor of the Earls of Hertford and Gloucester, who were lords of Blechingley, their chief seat in this county, until the extinction of the male line of the Clares in 1314. (fn. 36) They held by knight's service and by a rent of 5s. called Park-silver, which was paid to the sheriff for the king's use. (fn. 37)

With the other great Surrey family, the Warennes, the Clares exercised great influence in this part of the country on the political dissensions of the time, the Clares usually supporting the cause of the barons against the king. (fn. 38) Gilbert, fourth holder of the honour of Clare, was created Earl of Hertford probably in 1138; he was succeeded at his death by his brother Roger, the latter being the first and only head of this family who was called neither Richard nor Gilbert. His son Richard became heir to the Earl of Gloucester by his marriage with Amice daughter and eventually sole heir of William FitzRobert Earl of Gloucester. Gilbert, son of Richard and Amice, was recognized as Earl of Gloucester in 1218. He was succeeded by his son Richard, the eighth Clare to hold Blechingley, who died in 1262. Gilbert, son and heir of Richard, surnamed the Red, opposed the king in the civil war of 1264, but afterwards came over to Henry's side and fought for him at Evesham. (fn. 39) Having divorced his first wife, Gilbert married secondly Joan of Acre, daughter of Edward I, giving up on the occasion of his marriage all his lands, including Blechingley, to the king, who regranted most of them to the earl and Joan his wife and their issue. (fn. 40) The earl died in 1295, and Blechingley was for several years in the king's hands owing to the minority of the heir. (fn. 41) Joan Countess of Gloucester and widow of Gilbert died in 1307. (fn. 42) Their son Gilbert was slain at the battle of Bannockburn in 1314, leaving no issue; his heirs were his three sisters, Eleanor wife of Hugh le Despenser the younger, Margaret, who married first Piers Gaveston and secondly Hugh de Audley the younger, and Elizabeth wife of John de Burgh; among these three the extensive lands of the Clares were divided. By partition made in the Court of Chancery the manor of Blechingley was apportioned to Margaret. It appears, however, from a suit concerning the matter a good many years later that it was the manor only which she inherited, whilst Eleanor was granted the knights' fees belonging to it. The suit just referred to raised the point as to whether if one person was seised of a manor, and granted the suit and services of a tenant holding of that manor to a third person, the grantor or the grantee should make cognizance for arrears. (fn. 43) It was apparently decided that, the partition having been made in Chancery, and not by Margaret herself, the actual rent and services due to the manor must belong to her. (fn. 44) Though Blechingley Manor continued to be held by Margaret's descendants, there are inquisitions in which Tandridge (q.v.), the particular manor under discussion in the case just quoted, is mentioned among the knights' fees held by Eleanor's descendants.    (Richard Bostock is credited for building Tandridge Hall)"

.

From: 'Parishes: Blechingley', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 253-265. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43061  Date accessed: 31 December 2008.

 

"Hugh de Audley, Margaret's second husband, was declared a contrariant in 1321, and his lands were seized, an action due to his neglect of various commands sent him by the king requiring his presence, and to his refusal to serve the king in any way. (fn. 45) He took part in the insurrection of 1322, but was pardoned in 1327 on the revolution being accomplished, and his lands were restored. (fn. 46) He was afterwards created Earl of Gloucester. The earl died in 1347, when, his wife Margaret being already dead, his daughter and heir Margaret wife of Ralph de Stafford inherited Blechingley. (fn. 47) Ralph was created Earl of Stafford in 1351, (fn. 48) and this family, the members of which after 1444 also bore the title of Duke of Buckingham, (fn. 49) continued to hold Blechingley until the attainder and execution of Henry second Duke of Buckingham in 1483. (fn. 50)"

 

From: 'Parishes: Blechingley', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 253-265. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=43061  Date accessed: 31 December 2008.

 

Collected and Posted  by :Wanda Bostic Dunlap on Dec. 31, 2008  

 Sources are listed thru out this page and at the end of my main webpage.        .