Bacon-House of London:
Ancient Civic Mansion originally built during the reign of King Henry IV; and named "Shelley-House" for Sir Thomas Shelley, Knight.
During the reign of King Edward "Shelley-House" was renamed "Bacon-House" for Sir Nicholas Bacon.
1581 the house was purchased by two brothers; Christopher and Robert Barker; printers for Queen Elizabeth. The Acts of Parliament were printed in this house.
Sir Aurthur Savage purchased the house and conveyed it to his daughter Sara Savage and her husband; Physician George Egylshaw. George was Sara's second husband. Her first was George Smithies, the Alderman.
1628 Thomas Viscount Savage conveyed the house to Charles Bostock, Scrivener for the worshipful company. Charles would have been 59 years old at that time. This document represents another CONNECTION TO BOSTOCK AND SAVAGE FAMILY: (Ralph Bostock & wife Elizabeth Veneables (b1434) only surviving daughter ANNE (b1472) married John Savage. Because of this marriage, the Bostock property was held by the Savage family until John Savage's death 1578. (There are nine generations of John Savages, all descendents of Archbishop Thomas Savage.)
1628 the house was purchased and conveyed to Charles Bostock to be used by the "worshipful company of scriveners"; and was used as their private hall. The printers were obliged to remove their presses to another locality. Charles is listed as "Master Worshipful" which is defined as "a priest/Rev. who has an academic degree.
Adjoining the Bacon-House was the house of the Recorder of London; Sergeant Fleetwood.
Source: "The Gentleman's Magazine", July-Dec Vol IX #209, London
by: John Henry and James Parker
Collected and written by: Wanda Bostic Dunlap, March 2009